CAREER COACH – A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO HELP YOUR TEEN FIND THEIR LIFE’S PURPOSE
The official launch of Career Coach, a brilliant new publication by our very own Dearbhla Kelly, will take place on Wednesday 19th August in the Four Masters Bookshop in Donegal Town at 6:30pm.
Career Coach sets out about focusing on how to help parents teach ways to identify abilities, skills and talents in their teenager, as well as their innate passions and values, to realise their full potential. It provides a truly inspirational look into how parents can motivate and encourage their teenagers towards their future life dreams, and increase their chances of future employment in a job they were born to do.
This book will enable parents to:
1. Adopt techniques that help increase confidence and areas of ability in your teenager
2. Learn how to identify abilities, skills, talents, passions and values in your teenager and use them as signposts to their future careers
3. Know how to motivate and encourage your teenager towards their future life dreams
4. Learn how to practically link your teenager’s dreams to reality by getting them to look at the world of work
5. Understand ways to increase your teenager’s chances of future employment and encourage a mindset/attitude that can adapt to the hanging face of the world of work
6. Learn ways to develop resilience in your teenager and help them turn setbacks into opportunities
7. Know what career resources to use that will identify your teenager’s personality, learning style and career interests
8. Find ways to test out the world of work
9. Help your teenager build their inner strength in the face of change
10. Introduce your teenager to the ideas of abundance and creativity
A recent National Student Survey (carried about by campus.ie) highlighted that 50% of Irish students had considered dropping out of their course, and 30% would change their CAO forms if they had the chance. As it stands in Ireland, one in six students drop out of their chosen college course feeling disillusioned about their career path and uncertain about their future. This can deal a major blow to their self-esteem, not to mention the financial blow to parents who are paying the tuition fees.
About the Author:
Dearbhla Kelly has been in education training and guidance since 1991, working in secondary schools with Cavan Monaghan ETB, and has been with Donegal ETB since 2002 working in Further Education and Training as an Career Guidance Counsellor. Dearbhla has also worked as a careers advisor in Trinity College Dublin. In this book, Dearbhla uses a mixture of life coaching, NLP techniques, and counselling in order to give people practical solutions to find their purpose and follow their career dreams.
Career Coach is invaluable for parents of teenagers starting secondary school, selecting subjects after transition year, filling out CAO forms and preparing for their Leaving Certificate results.
Career Coach was published by Gill & Macmillan on Friday, 14th August 2015, priced at €14.99.